Monday, November 8, 2010

One Day at a Time

I've gone to several Alcoholics Anonymous meetings for school assignments. I was thoroughly impressed with how dedicated and open many of the AA group members were. The thing that stuck with me most from those meetings was a comment made by one of the group leaders. He was a man in his 60s who had been sober for 12 years after drinking heavily for decades. He said,
"If someone told me right now that I was never going to have a drink for the rest of my life, I would give up right now, even after a dozen years of being sober. I really would. I'm just not that strong. To say you're going to do something forever is overwhelming.
But every morning when I wake up I say to my self 'Well, self, can we do this for one day?' and the answer has been 'Yes, for one day, I can do it" and the answer has been that way every day for 12 years. "
I think in a similar way about weight loss. It's easy to get overwhelmed when you think that your old comfortable habits and foods are going to be gone forever. But I can agree to it for one day. One day is feasible. I can do one day.

No comments: